Sunday, March 23, 2008

Brook Trout, Cold Waters, Easter With ZeroG




The call of the brookies was rocking this weekend. Greg had called me months ago and asked me to spend Saturday at the Brook Trout Retreat. We woke saturday morning to it snowing, 3" on the road! It was 52degrees when we went to bed... what happened? After a long drive through the snow we arrived. We met Greg Sr, Greg and Joel. After a small bs session we headed out to fish. The water was COLD and it showed. The fish just didnt wanna move for anything. A ten feather streamer brought two into my hands. With that, we called it a day and drove back home.

This morning I woke up and for some reason decided I was going back to bed. Must have been the cold. I've had a brand new Orvis ZeroG setting here in the house for a week that needed fished. Well, regardless that it was easter I had to go cast this rod. I didnt get to spend much time with it but it had no problem throwing a nymph rig out forty feet in the wind. I cant even imagine what it will be like on a nice day. The rod itself is simply beautiful. I matched it with a LA Battenkill and Scientific Anglers Trout WF line. I must say, that line is impressive too, very smooth, time will tell how it holds up but for now I definitely like it.

I plan to head out a day or more this week, the stream is coming down but its still moving pretty good. Hopefully this cold will go away soon.

No comments: